Thursday, July 7, 2016

Technology in the 21st Century Classroom

As 21st century teachers it is imperative to implement a variety of instructional strategies in an effort to reach all of the students in your classroom.  There are many things to take into consideration such as student learning styles and multiple intelligence.  Students of today are accustomed to many different technologies both inside and outside of school.  

Although technology is a great tool, it cannot be considered a useful resource without correct implementation.  For example, I often use interactive presentations when lecturing about a topic. The PowerPoints and Prezis typically do not stand alone as an instructional resource. Teachers still have valid roles in the classroom as these programs alone are often not enough instruction for the average student.

The integration of technology brings many positive aspects to the classroom such as reaching a variety of learners, encouraging collaboration between classmates, and information that is literally at one's fingertips.  Technology often enables students to modify assignments for students without their knowledge.  It can provide all learners the opportunity to communicate amongst one another and provides the teacher a chance to step into the role of facilitator.  Furthermore, it provides students and teachers alike with information that is up to date.

This year, I plan to use a learning management system such as Schoology or Moodle with at least one of my classes.  I would ultimately like to use the system in all of my classes; however, I believe that easing into using an LMS in my classroom will enable me to be comfortable with it prior to utilizing it in all of my classes.  This year, I will teach at least one remedial math class in a computer lab setting.  Since I do not have regular access to enough technology for all learners in my classroom, I will use this year as a 'pilot'.  Throughout the year I plan to write grants to request funds for Chromebooks to use in my classroom.  I refuse to allow the lack of funds to be a barrier for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment