Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Techie Classroom

Our 21st Century students deserve lessons that are rich in 21st Century media.  The good news is that there are many medias to choose from.  While some subjects may be easier to find technology to infuse into lessons, all lessons can be enhanced through the use of technology.  As teachers, it is our duty to keep students up to date with as much current media as possible.  Even schools with tight budgets and limited technology can usually find ways to incorporate media in engaging manners. 

While I would already consider my classroom to be semi-rich in technology, there are still many types of media and technology that I would like to apply in my classroom in the future. On a daily basis, I use my smartboard, computer, slate, and projector as well as programs such as Powerpoint, Prezi, and web-based textbooks.  Last year, I had a student tell me that he liked my class because I was "always using technology."  He further stated that I "use technology more than any of his other teachers ever have."  It made me feel good to know that he enjoyed the technology based lessons. The high school I teach at is very low socio-economic status.  There are many students whom do not have access to a computer at home and there are even some that do not have much, if any, access to a smartphone.  Our technology resources are very limited within the school.  We have 2 computer labs available and a handful of laptops on a cart.  I refuse to let the lack of technology available stand between my students and them acquiring 21st Century technology skills. 

To remedy the lack of technology I am taking several steps.  I have written grants to receive new materials.  Last year I wrote three grants, two of these were technology related.  I wrote a grant for new scientific calculators so that I could have a classroom set that were all identical and I also wrote a grant for 8 Calculator Based Rangers from Texas Instruments.  I am excited to use the CBRs in my classroom this year!  In the meantime, I have been able to scrape up 3 computers that were not being used within the school.  They are now in my classroom.  I plan to use them for enrichment and remediation activities throughout the school year.  In addition, I will allow students to use my personal laptop, iPad, and my computer assigned to me by the school.  Furthermore, I was recently given a set of clickers that will work with my smartboard.  I plan to learn to use them so that students can give responses with them during test reviews.  Lastly, I am seeking a grant to request funds for a classroom set of Chromebooks.  Unfortunately, my largest class has 30 students making this an expensive purchase!

These are just a few ways that I plan to incorporate technology in my classroom.  

To see some of the possibilities with Chromebooks, check out the video below:





No comments:

Post a Comment