Monday, August 1, 2016

Visual Literacy and the Internet

Classrooms are comprised of learners whom often learn best in different ways.  I am an auditory learner which means that I learn best through hearing materials.  Some other learning styles include visual, kinesthetic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and logical mathematical.  As teachers, it is important to create lessons that engage all learners.  One of the best ways to accomplish this is to differentiate instruction according to Gardner's Multiple Intelligences. 
Visual Literacy

According to the American Library Association, visual literacy is "a set of abilities that enables an individual to effectively find, interpret, evaluate, use, and create images and visual media."  As 21st Century Educators, we must prepare students for the technology they will face once they graduate. These skills are often put into practice by students in the classroom through internet based research projects and creating presentations using various technology platforms. 
One method that I plan to incorporate into my classroom this year is the Visual Thinking Strategy.  To accomplish this, I will display an image on the projector.  Students will be provided with time to think about the following questions:
  • What is happening in the picture?
  • What evidence do you see that makes you think that?
  • What can we infer?
This strategy is designed to encourage students to ask more questions and justify their reasoning.  

Internet in the Classroom
The technology-infused classroom is comprised of students who are engaged in the use of technology to further their education.  While I often supplement my lessons with interactive web based games on the Smartboard and content related videos, this year I plan to utilize math rotations.  I should have enough computers available for all of my students to access them during rotations.  Within this time, I plan to provide targeted remediation and enrichment to students through a Learning Management System such as Schoology.  This will enable my class to begin to take a hybrid form which will enable learners to lead themselves through assignments. 


No comments:

Post a Comment